KFC – a girl and her dog’s best friend.
My most precious boy Chan the Chow was not doing very well. He was 12 years old and his coat was dull and thin, he had stopped eating and did not want to be in the house.
I was heartbroken when the vet told me that it did not look good for him as there was a shadow in his abdomen. After a few weeks I realized that it was time for my boy to cross the Rainbow Bridge. Not wanting him to suffer I made the choice to “put him to sleep”.
I was miserable. I am single with no children and my Channie was not only my best friend, but my family and he was leaving me.
We had an appointment with the vet to come to our home at 2pm on Friday.
Channie’s favourite treat was Kentucky Fried Chicken. As I needed comfort food, it was his last night and I thought he may eat at least a little of his favourite food, I went to KFC and stocked up on chicken for Chan and lots of fries with lots of gravy for me.
Through my tears I sat eating and watching my boy at my feet barely moving. I tried to tempt him with some KFC and at first he was not responsive. I tried again to tempt him and he raised his head to sniff. I got down on the floor with him and he actually ate one tiny piece of chicken from my hand. This was the first thing he had eaten in weeks!
Soon he had eaten two whole pieces of chicken that I fed to him by hand! He fell into a deep sleep, which is more than I can say for me…I was awake and crying most of the night.
The morning came and I got Chan up to go outside. On his very shaky legs we went into the yard where he actually sniffed a little, had a pee and then proceeded to have the ugliest poop I had ever seen!
He seemed to be perkier and after a few moments he became my old Chan again! He wanted to play! Through my tears I said prayers of thanks for this wonderful final moment with my boy. We went into the house and he went directly to the kitchen and I was shocked that it looked like he wanted to eat. I grabbed the leftover KFC from the fridge and again he ate two pieces from my hand then had a nap. When he woke up he was so much himself again that I could not bear to let him go. I called the vet and cancelled the appointment.
My Channie rallied and lived for two more years! Who knows what happened, but I can say the he was healthier than he had ever been and he got a KFC fix at least once a week from then until he did pass on at the ripe old age of 14.